“Good morning Anita Hill, it’s Ginni Thomas,” it said. “I just wanted to reach across the airwaves and the years and ask you to consider something. I would love you to consider an apology sometime and some full explanation of why you did what you did with my husband.”
Ms. Thomas went on: “So give it some thought. And certainly pray about this and hope that one day you will help us understand why you did what you did. O.K., have a good day.”
WTH? If your old enough, then you recall the scandal behind Clarence Thomas’s Supreme Court confirmation hearings. If your not old enough here is a link to get you caught up. I’m not going to go into a political rant about this story, but I have a few questions for Virginia:
1. Why are you calling Anita at 7:30 am, and leaving voice mails on her job? Why, praytell do you believe that to be appropriate behavior for the wife of a Supreme Court judge?
2. This is personal, right? I mean really, you have some unresolved marital issues that your trying to workout?
3. Did you ask Clarance? Did you go to him first and ask, “what really happened, Clearance?” That would seem the most obvious action. Go to your husband… your life partner for answers…not the other woman.
4. Why now Virginia? Why now after almost 20 years, are you asking for an apology? Isn’t 20 years enough to heal, why are you opening closed wounds. What are you trying to do to your marriage, your husband’s career, your self esteem?
I’m just so confused by her actions, this was the center of my morning conversation with Dr. B. We as a married couple cannot understand how one spouse would have the audacity to do something so…foolish. What do you think, was going through Virginia’s head when she made that call?
- You: Virginia Thomas seeks apology from Anita Hill (washingtonpost.com)
- Clarence Thomas’ Wife Calls Anita Hill for an Apology [Uh] (gawker.com)
- Reports: Clarence Thomas’ Wife Called Anita Hill (cbsnews.com)
- Anita Hill: No apology coming for Thomas testimony (cnn.com)