Saturday Dr. B and I attended our friend, George’s 40th birthday party! One of the things that stood out to me was that there were four other couples there that had met online: two through Match.com, one through Plenty-o-Fish, and the other through E-Harmony! It was a tell-tale sign of change – a change brought about by the Internet. Just 10 years ago, you would have been hard-pressed to find anyone who admitted to using an online dating website. I believe the stigma of online dating no longer exists, and people now know a quality relationship can start online. Of course I’m biased on the subject, being that Dr. B and I met through Match.com, but minus my bias there is still a strong case that can be made for online dating sites. Industry giant, Match.com, just celebrated it’s 15th year anniversary in April of this year, and just this month e-harmony is celebrating it’s 10 year anniversary. A recent survey(2009-2010) of online dating trends conducted by Match.com revealed some very interesting facts:
- 7% of couples married in the last 3 years, or 1 in 6, met each other on an online dating site.
- In the last year, more than twice as many marriages occurred between people who met on an online dating site than met in bars, at clubs and other social events combined.
- Approximately twice as many recently married couples met on Match.com than the site that ranked second.
- 1 out of 5 single people have dated someone they met on an online dating site.
- 1 out of 5 people in a new committed relationship (including marriage) met their significant other on an online dating site.
I’m very interested to see how the online dating trend continues, and the new directions it will take in the next 10 years. I believe that as people’s lives continue to move online, through social networks, people will continue to embrace the idea of online dating.
Have you tried online dating and what was your experience. Do you know any married couples that met online?
Related articles by Zemanta
- After 10 Years, Online Dating Is A Mainstream Pick-Up Scene [Love For Sale] (jezebel.com)
- The Nine Hottest Online Dating Sites (bettyconfidential.com)
- The Rise of Online Dating (clutchmagonline.com)